Wednesday

When To Seek Help For a Child's Reading Problems

Most research indicates that about 40% of children experience problems learning to read. 

This is a picture of my daughter. 

My daughter had some problems learning to read even though I read to her all the time and provided her with the same support as I gave her brothers. I noticed she was falling behind her twin brother in first grade. I began to teach her in the same manner I would tutor a child with reading, and she was able to catch up with her brother quickly. Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I didn't have a teaching background and didn't know how to help. Many children fall behind in all subjects and label themselves as stupid when they experience problems with reading.

When should a parent find help for a child struggling with reading?
ANSWER: As soon as a problem is noticed! 

Read this article from Reading Rockets for more information about helping a struggling reader.

Solutions to reading problems are not one size fits all.

Please take the poll in the top right corner of this page and share the poll in your social circles.
I'll share the results in the beginning of April 2013.

I welcome comments. Feel free to share anything about getting help for children with reading. 

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Lorie K said...

Thanks for sharing such great resources!