Friday

Phonological Weakness in a Student I'm Tutoring


What is phonological weakness?




Phonological refers to the sounds of language. Phonological weakness means a person has difficulty hearing and producing separate sounds in language. This weakness makes learning to read and write difficult. Children who have phonological weaknesses tend to rely on learning words by sight and picture clues. This method of reading will work until about the middle of first grade.

I've tutored a number of children with reading and have personal experience with the way my own children learned to read. I've experienced success with all the students I tutored with reading.



Currently I'm tutoring a good friend's daughter who is in fourth grade. I've tutored her for about a year. She has not made the growth I expected. We have bumped up her tutoring sessions to twice a week with specific assigned home reading practice. I suspect she has phonological weakness and issues with dyslexia. I am not an expert on this subject, but I am learning more everyday.

I am using some Starfall phonics books, Level 1 and Level 2 books from the Now I'm Reading Series by Nora Gaydos and Phonics Pathways. We use magnetic letters and mark words in a notebook.

My three children keep me quite busy after school, so my friend's daughter is the only child I'm tutoring. She is my focus. Any suggestions or words of encouragement are welcome. Leave a comment or share a story. You can use the contact form on my website too.






Share/Bookmark

No comments: