Saturday

Hearing Separate Sounds in Words is Important When Sounding Out Words



This may seem simple to most people, but it's not. Many children who struggle with reading need some help and practice hearing the separate sounds in words. Being able to hear and say separate sounds in words in called phonemic awareness. Each sound is called a phoneme. The written representation in called a grapheme. Here's an extremely useful list of phonemes and the letter representations of each phoneme. I recommend you make a copy of this list and use it as a resource.

Reading Rockets has some phoneme awareness activities you may want to try.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

I can't wait to check out those sites. Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for new sites to share with my kids. I am a new follower from No Time For Flashcards. Vicky from Mess For Less

Jams and Books said...

I am glad to leran about more sites, how refreshing. Thank you more great educational information. Carolyn