Tuesday

Teach An Early Reader with the Free Printable Book - I Can Draw


Are you teaching a beginning reader? This post is part of a series. This series combines free printable books with repeated language for early readers with ways to practice sounding out and learning sight words.
I Can Draw is a patterned text book for early readers. The author, Leanne Guenther, has been kind enough to share this free children's book and many others on another site.

The high frequency flashcards I created that go with this book are the words I, can, a, bird, draw, and my. You can download your own set of 30 printable sight word flashcards with sounding out tips by checking out a previous post. 30 Free High Frequency Word Flashcards
The word I can be taught as the long sound of the letter i.
The word can has the CVC short vowel rule.
The word a can have the schwa sound or the long sound of the letter a.
The word bird has an r-controlled letter combination.
The word draw has a blend and a two letter phonogram.
The word my has the long i sound for the letter y at the end of a one syllable word. (why, cry, shy, fly, by)

After teaching rules and patterns with high frequency words, a new reader can use a learned high frequency word to remember a rule or pattern to read a new word. Once a reader learns the word my, other short words with a y at the end start to make sense. The same is true of the word happy. You can teach that a more than one syllable word with a y at the end will usually make a long e sound.

Try to teach your beginning reader in a way that is fun and at the right level of difficulty for your reader's skills. Here are some ideas to teach with this book.

Easy: A very early reader may enjoy watching an adult read this book while pointing under the words. Then practice some flashcards or use magnetic letters to help a child sound out and learn new words. I love magnetic letters for early readers and writers. Check out this post to find some inexpensive magnetic letters. Magnetic Letters Can Be Organized and Used to Teach Reading. New readers will let you know when they are ready to read on their own. Early reading experiences should be enjoyable.

Medium: Have a new reader point under the words as you read. Pause and let a new reader read words he or she can read. Give as much support as needed. A fun thing to do with a new reader is read a book a few times together and slowly step back to let the new reader take over reading all of the story. You can give clues to help a child read words or you can choose to tell a new reader a word. I'd like to share my favorite article for parents who are listening to a beginning reader. How to Read with a Beginning Reader


Here's the book page by page.








Here's a video with ideas to help an early reader with this book.


Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Becky said...

I love how explicitly you show how to teach your child to read!

Michelle said...

Thanks Becky! I keep trying. I worked pretty hard on this post. Your support means a lot!

Stephanie said...

This is a really useful post full of practical tips on helping children learn high frequency words, and in the context of a free book - what a great idea!

Ms. Tonya said...

This is a great post Michelle. Thanks for all the ideas on teaching reading. I have printed out the drawing book for my girls to make. They will love making their own book.
Tonya

Michelle said...

I hope your daughters have fun. I use clear packing tape along the staped edge to protect fingers and make the books last longer.

Ms. Tonya said...

Michelle, I just watched your video all the way through and that was great! You explained everything so well I may just have my daughters watch your video instead of doing it myself! :) I also posted a link on my facebook account. I have a lot of homeschooling friends that could use this.
Tonya

Rebecca said...

I awarded you the Liebster Blog award! Thanks for your blog! I always love your posts!

Come visit my blog to snatch your award!
http://thejoyofliteracy.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-first-award.html