Thursday

Teach an Early Reader with the Free Printable Book - I Can Draw


I Can Draw is a free printable book a beginning reader can read with a little support. It's a good book for a reader to practice reading by pointing under words to make sure each word a child reads is on the page. Pointing under words is a little like one to one matching when counting. High frequency words and picture clues will help a beginning reader "read" words.
Early reading experiences should be fun. Whatever a child does to enjoy these books is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. A child may prefer these books read to him or her. Some reading experts think children should sound out every word. Some think words should be memorized. I think a child should pick up a book and read it however he or she likes. There will be time for teaching, but early experiences with books should be enjoyable. You can treat books as a fun experience and let children "play" with them and experience books like toys. The results will amaze you. Sometimes a child knows more about learning than the "experts".

I hope your child enjoys reading this book. This post is part of a series. You can learn more about this series and get caught up here. Add in some flashcard practice, writing, or playing with magnetic letters.
Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

The Book Chook said...

Yay! Too many experts busy testing kids and comparing them to benchmarks is what I say. If we encourage kids to love reading, we're halfway there.

Beth Ann said...

I have nominated you for an award. Come on over to check it out!
❁Beth Ann❁
Taming My Flock of Firsties
bakteach16@gmail.com

Amanda said...

I'm not sure how new your blog is but it is a great resource! I awarded you the Versatile Blog Award. Check it out at href="http://www.thekindergartenchick.blogspot.com"

Desiree said...

Hello I nominated you for The Versatile Award. I am glad that I found your blog and I am new follower. You can find out details of the award on my blog.

Kinders on the Block

Jeannie said...

You have a terrific site here! I am so glad I found it and I am your newest follower!
Come see me too!
~jeannie~
­ Kindergarten Lifestyle

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

I love the way you write about letting kids "play" with books and experience them however they like. Excellent advice!!!

Jackie H. said...

So true. Many of them will learn in ways that will amaze us!