Monday

Keep Reading Together



I just found a good resource titled Keep Reading Together from The Boys and Girls Clubs of America today and added it to my Reading Resources page.

I think it's so important for parents to continue to read together with their children. The link I shared will hopefully motivate parents to make time to read together with children even after they know how to read themselves.

Many readers of my blog and friends may be surprised to find out that I was not a good reader until my late twenties. I love to read now. I wish reading together was a routine in my family growing up. My mom read to me when I was little, but when I got older my reading time was a solo activity.  I shared a little bit about my reading troubles when asked a few questions by LitWorld for my World Read Aloud Day Ambassador profile.

I try to listen to each of my children read aloud at least once a week. It might be a cartoon, news story, picture book, or a chapter book.  Since I know the importance of reading aloud I continue to read aloud to my children ages 8, 8, and 10. Even though reading and teaching reading is my passion, sometimes it's hard to find the time to read together. We don't always have a book going, but we make it a priority once we find a good book. We are currently reading Runt by Marion Dane Bauer.


Their dad read The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthorpe in December.



Stop by my Blog Frog community and share your children's favorite books. What's Your Child's Favorite Book Right Now?

Do you know about a resource you think belongs on my Reading Resources page? Please share a link in a comment.





Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Angel Read said...

I agree here. My parents read to us when we were young, but as we got older of course we were expected to read on our own. My brother HATED reading and I LOVED it. I remember buying a copy of The Outsiders at a resale shop when I was 14, and sitting outside reading it aloud to my brother who was 12. He became as obsessed with SE Hinton as I did and started reading on his own, and it was something we shared. Now he loves to read as an adult! Families should definitely read together... in fact I've always thought it would be fun to have a family book club where you could all read a book together and then do some related activity like a craft, outing, etc.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the comment Angel Read! I loved hearing the story about you reading to your brother. That one book and connection helped him so much I'm sure.
You should start a family book club! Your ideas are great!

Jackie H. said...

I agree wholeheartedly. My parents were and are book lovers. My husbands were not. Our two different experiences created two very different outcomes. My husband just doesn't enjoy reading... although he will do it for my boys and I love that!