Tuesday

Sight Word Flashcards with Free Printable Books


I like to teach children to sound out sight words. I call sight words high frequency words since I prefer not to teach these words by shape or memory. All sight words have some sounds that make sense and other sounds that can be taught. Once a high frequency word is learned it can be used to help sound out words that have similar sounds or rules. I use a simple system to teach children to sound out words. There are three ways a word can be approached.
1. Vowel Sound
2. Combination
3. Something Different

I'm sharing free flashcards to go with eight free early reader books I think are good for early readers to practice reading with their parents to test out this approach of teaching children to sound out sight words. The back of each flashcard will state the approach I suggest to sound out a word. Words with more than one syllable will sometimes have more than one approach.


Here are links to eight of my favorite free printable books from DLTK's mini book collection for early readers  (The directions to print and put together these books is on each link. You may want to change your settings on your printer to save ink.)
A Garden
Building a Bird House
Fruit
Go, Car, Go
Homes
I Can Draw
On the Farm
Mommy Bird

Please visit this post to download the files to print 30 high frequency flashcards with sounding out tips on the back. You will also find directions with pictures to cut the flashcards into 2 in. by 4 1/4 in. cards.

The words I share in these flashcards are a good introduction to other words and rules. Please print the flash cards and give it a try. The rules will be on the back of each card to help you. I've tried these out on my non-teacher friends, and they found them very useful.
Rules to Learn
C = Consonants
V = Vowels
Consonants are all the letters that are not vowels.
Vowels are (aeiou and sometimes y).
CVC - This pattern will usually make the vowel all alone in the middle make a short sound. (except: ild, old, ind and a few more spelling patterns)


VC - When a vowel is at the beginning of a syllable or word it will usually make a short sound.


CV - When a vowel is at the end of a word or syllable it will usually make a long sound.


Two Vowels - When two vowels are together they will usually make the long sound of the first vowel. (ai, ea, oa, ie, oe, ee) The letters "ea" together makes the most unpredictable combination. For example read can be read two ways. I read a book yesterday. Today I will read a book. Then there's bread. Many words have the long e sound when spelled with ea. Teach a child to be flexible. It may be one of the most important lessons you teach.
Silent e Rule - Many words ending in e will have the vowel in the middle make a long sound. Teach a child early that this rule only works sometimes and teach exceptions. ("have" in this set of flashcards doesn't follow the rule) I recently learned that English words do not end in the letter v, so we find the letter e attached to the end of words with short or long sounds ending with the letter v. This might be the reason the word of is spelled with the letter f at the end instead of the letter v.
Schwa Sound - All vowels can make the schwa sound "uh". Two examples in this set of flashcards are "the" and "a". (Love, come, some, and banana are other words where the schwa sound is used.)
Combinations - Sometimes letters work together to make one sound. Here's a chart with the spellings of some sounds.

Find a series of posts to go with these flashcards by clicking here. This link will show the most recent posts and work backward. As soon as this series is complete, you will be able to find the series organized in a Squidoo lens I plan to write. You can visit my Squidoo profile page and scroll down to find lenses otherwise known as articles written by me. Most of my articles are about teaching reading.
Good Books for Beginning Readers is a lens I wrote that has my opinions about the best books for early readers.

Are you interested in a program that will test, teach, and give a child practice with reading, spelling, math, and math facts learning? I highly encourage you to check out K5 Learning.
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

What a great resource - thanks for sharing!

My daughter's kindergarten calls sigh words "heart" words, because you learn them by heart. I thought that was cute. I also like your high frequency term.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know more about your book sets. Please email @
koka.holland@gmail.com
Thank you

JDaniel4's Mom said...

These are wonderful. I need to start working on sight words with JDaniel.

momonthegoinholytoledo.com said...

I really like the phonics Songs. As a mom of 3 young kiddos I will be following your site, these are great resource, thanks you.

Savannah McQueen said...

HI! I found your site through Just for Moms Community and this post would be a wonderful addition to a similar story I wrote. Here is the page - http://hammockhomeschool.blogspot.com/
I hope you will link up here.