Tuesday

How and Why to Teach Phonics and Phonemic Awareness


I found an article written by Wiley Blevins that answers this blog post's question.
Understanding Phonics by Wiley Blevins
I share quite a bit about teaching phonics and phonemic awareness on this blog. I found Wiley Blevin's article to be easy to understand and based on the latest research I've been reading. I hope you find it informative. 

Here are some posts I labeled with phonics and phonemic awareness.

You may want to check out my Reading Resources page. This is where I share the most helpful resources I've written or found related to teaching reading. You may want to bookmark this page. I keep it updated.

I'm in the process of creating some resources for parents to teach phonics and phonemic awareness. These resources will be mostly in video format. Some videos will be for parents and teachers to watch to show ways to teach a child. Some videos will be learning videos for children. There will be companion written resources and recommended books to read to a child and recommended books for children to read themselves after watching videos.

I'll continue to make posts. I'll probably even give some sneak peeks into what I'm working on. I'll let you know when I have anything ready to sell. Thanks for reading this post. Subscribe with Feedburner to get all new posts sent via email.

If you'd like a way to monitor the reading levels once a child is reading, you may want to check out Total Reader. I'm happy to be able to share an in home way to test reading levels with you.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Lauralee Moss said...

Thanks for the tip. I'm clicking on that link next!

Jackie H. said...

Good article. I really liked this quote, "Therefore, phonics instruction should focus on applying learned sound-spelling relationships to actual reading, with smaller amounts of time spent on the initial task of learning phonics rules." There are so many programs especially for struggling readers that are so indepth with learning just the phonics rules and then not applying them. Studies have shown that the poorest readers usually spend the least amount of time working on continuous text of anyone in the room. I absolutely agree that phonics needs to be explicitly taught (even more importantly for struggling readers) and your videos that you've created in the past are great for that, Michelle. Another point I would add is that students should apply learned sound-spelling relationship in writing (as well as reading).