Sunday

Who's the Author?


Are your kids interested in who wrote the book they are reading? Getting to know authors and reading a bunch of books by the same author is a lot of fun. It helps children connect to books.
You can talk about the purpose of each book. Was it to inform and teach? Did the author want you to laugh? Did the author take you on an adventure?

You can see how some books are the same and some books are different.

You can find some interviews or videos of different authors online. I wrote a post with links to interviews of popular authors you should check out if you are interested in getting to know some authors.

Beverly Cleary is an author my family loves. Her books are great for reading out loud.

We like Socks.


Jack Prelutsky's poems are just the kind of humor my kids like.



Audrey Wood has some great books we loved to check out at the library.

We like The Red Racer.



Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Callie said...

Thanks for these links! My oldest daughter is just beginning to ask questions about the authors and illustrators. She likes to hear about "the story behind the story." :)

Debbie said...

I LOVE this post!!!

I just put up a 'related' post on my blog this week -- about the fun & the "why" behind my posing as an author/illustrator in photos for teachers to paste into my picture books. Your expansion on the significance of 'following' a particular author or illustrator is brilliant!!

www.rainbowswithinreach.blogspot.com

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This sounds like a wonderful program.

OneMommy said...

My daughter isn't quite into who wrote the book yet, but occasionally I'll mention if it is one from our favorite children's author - I always made sure to talk about authors when I taught;so much of the author's life can be found in what happens in the book!
stopping by from the Mom Loop