Sunday

Young Children Benefit From Being Read to Early and Often


I read to my children a lot when they were young. It was a favorite thing to do. I've created a website for parents that gives advice on how to read to babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and children just learning to read. I'd love it if you checked it out and shared it with friends with young children. Parent and Child Reading Assistance

Today is Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day if you are a mommy! I have a son in 4th grade and boy/girl twins in 2nd grade. Part of my Mother's Day present will be for each of my kids to finish a Lexile test available to parents. The founder of LaunchPad Learning gave our family access to this test to try out. Here's a video about Lexile. I'll post more information about LanchPad Learning soon.



Here's an update on our testing. Two of my children finished the testing and both where above grade level. They really liked the testing. They were able to choose the topic of the reading passage, read a little introduction about it, and decide to choose a different passage if it wasn't interesting. This testing can be done for reading practice also. There are many interesting choices! My children now have access to these stories and can complete as many readings with fill in the blank words as they like even after their level has been determined. The passages will continue to evaluate their reading levels and provide them practice. Very cool!
LaunchPad Learning plans to make these tests available for home use. $39.95 per year with a 10% discount for each additional child. The company is working on making an option for parents to purchase two on level books in a selected category per month for only $10.99. There will be no required book purchases in the program.
I'll share a link to sign up as soon as I can for any interested families.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

The Book Chook said...

Happy Mother's Day! And thanks for all you do to help other parents!