Wednesday

Books to Read to Young Children

What are good books to read to children? What books do children like the most? When a child asks for a story to be read many times, you know you've found a good book.
Watch this video from a librarian to give you some help finding good books to read to your child.


Here's a previous post with books I think young children like. A List of Stories for Young Children

I recently went through my family's books and pulled out my children's favorite books. I read these stories soooo many times.

I separated these books to make sure I don't lose or give any of them away. It was easy to find my kids' favorites. Most were torn and taped. My kids found the boxes and were thrilled to read these books themselves. Some were read more than 100 times when they were little. Someday I plan to read these same books to my future grandchildren. It will be nice to say, "This is the same book I read to your (mom / dad)".

Here are links to a few of my family's favorites. You'll find reviews and descriptions of the books if you click on a title of interest. Maybe your family will find a few new favorites.

A Dragon in a Wagon
Are You My Mother?
Bear Shadow
Bears on Wheels
Be Nice to Spiders
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors
Count and Find 100 Cats and 10 Mice
Counting Crocodiles
Dinosaur Bob
Dreaming Numbers
Five Little Monkeys Sitting in the Tree
Five Little Monkeys With Nothing to Do
Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
Hey, Little Ant
Have You Seen My Cat?
How I Found a Friend
Just Me and My Puppy
Little Cloud
Lost
Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
My Many Colored Days
Penguin's Big Hill
Puppies Are Like That
Roll Over! A Counting Song
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
The Baby Uggs Are Hatching
The Baby Unicorn
The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
The Berenstain Bears on the Moon
The Dog Who Cried "Woof"
The Gorilla Did It
The Hungry Thing
The Last Puppy
The Mixed-up Chameleon
The Monster at the End of This Book
The Popcorn Dragon
There's a Nightmare in my Closet
The Runaway Bunny
The Runaway Rabbit
The Stormy Day Rescue
This is the Place for Me
What a Bad Dream
Where the Wild Things Are
Where's Spot?
Which One Would You Choose?

As an Amazon affiliate, I get a small percentage from anything you order from Amazon at no extra cost to you.
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I would also like to suggest a fabulous resource for great books. It is a homeschool site, but you can simply use it for lists of GREAT books. Year 0 is the one for pre-schoolers.

www.Amblesideonline.org

Enjoy!

Gabriella - The Stepford Wife said...

Great list. My favorite personally would have to be 'Are you My mother?' - it was such a cute book!

Callie said...

What a helpful list!
I'm pretty sure I have "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?" memorized. Both my daughters love that one. :)

Erin @ Small Types said...

Great list! We just rediscovered the Spot books with my youngest.

MaryAnne said...

Thanks for sharing your list! Several of these are new to me; we'll have to look for them in our library!