Monday

Phonogram to sound chart courtesy of the Reading Reform Foundation

Phonogram to sound chart courtesy of the Reading Reform Foundation



I replied to a discussion at We Teach about teaching silent letters and tricky spelling patterns today. There are so many rules and rule breakers in the English language. There are spelling patterns that help a reader decode.
I think these charts are a good resource for a person helping a child figure out spelling patterns that have a unique sound.

One way I try to teach these patterns is find a word a child can read and spell that includes the pattern and try to teach a child to read and spell a few more words with the same pattern. This can be done by writing a list of words with the same pattern and having a child read the list of words. If a child is trying to read a word with a tricky pattern, I sometimes write a known word with the pattern and read the word separating the sounds. Then we go back to the word a child is trying to read. I finger frame the spelling pattern part and make the sound, then I ask the child to read the word from beginning to end.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: