Monday

November 2010 Chapter Book Read Aloud Challenge


I've challenged myself to read at least one chapter book to my children each month. If you have children at home and want to join this challenge, check out this post.
I read The Stupendous Dodgeball Fiasco last month. Here are some highlights:

* I asked my children to pretend to be the main character eleven year old Phillip.
* When Phillip had a decision to make I'd ask my children to say what they would do. Then we'd read to find out what Phillip decided to do.
* I asked my children how they would feel when things happened to Phillip.
* I loved the language and descriptions the author used to help us make pictures in our heads, smell things, and understand how characters felt. We took time to reread some good descriptions. My kids took turns telling how a picture or feeling became clear. Sometimes I shared how the words helped me think, feel, or see something better.
* We tried to figure out meanings of some difficult words. Sometimes I'd show my children how the author gives clues to the meanings. Sometimes I'd tell them the meanings. Sometimes they made a good guess at the meaning of a word. My favorite word was menacing. (B.B. gave Phillip a menacing wink.) One of my kids said, "Oh, like Dennis the Menace!" We were able to figure out the menacing meant something bad was about to happen.

The book I plan to read for November is A Lion to Guard Us by Clyde Robert Bulla.

Please share in a comment about the book you read last month and let us know what book you'll be reading this month. By sharing with others you can make a good intention become a reality. The challenge is helping me make reading an entire book a priority with my busy family. The biggest benefit I saw last month was my seven year old son is enjoying reading chapter books on his own at his level. He says he's able to make pictures in his head now. He still reads picture books too. I read an article recently about making sure children continue to read picture books and not just chapter books. I wanted to share the link here, but I couldn't find it. If anyone knows the article and has the link, please share it in a comment.
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Zoe @ Playing by the book said...

I love the idea of this challenge! I'm not sure I could participate as we're a bilingual family and so we alternate as to who gets to read chapter books to our eldest, but still I think it's a great idea!

Michelle said...

Zoe,
It would be great if you shared the title of a book you are reading this month. It may give you the motivation to finish in a month. I think this could be a nice place for people to see what other families are reading and how parents interact with their children while reading. There are no rules. If you finish and want to share a little about your experience next month, great! If you don't finish or don't have anything to share, that's okay too. Go ahead and share the title of a book from another language if you like.

Read Aloud Dad said...

I recently started reading aloud the first chapter book (not many pictures) to my 3y3m kids (in addition to the daily staple of picture books).

They love the story. I chose Enid Blyton's The Enchanted Wood, and it is great for this purpose. Each chapter ends on a cliffhanger.

We've read a lot of books together and I'm documenting it on my blog

Read Aloud Dad