Monday

Join My Chapter Book Read Aloud Challenge!

Children of all ages benefit from an adult reading a book to them. Many parents stop or read less as children get older. I'm guilty of reading less to my children aged 9, 7, and 7.

I'm challenging myself to preview a chapter book worth reading and read at least one chapter book a month to my children.

Reading Comprehension and higher order thinking skills can be developed while reading to children. Here are two resources I've found to help us make our read alouds develop our children's thinking.
http://www.readingrockets.org/article/38807

http://beginningreadinghelp.blogspot.com/2010/08/teach-reading-comprehension-with-7-keys.html

The first of every month I'll post the book I'm reading for the month and share a little about my family's experience with the previous month's book.

Are you in???
Leave a comment.
The challenge starts October 1, 2010.
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Clemencia said...

Hi, my daugther is 5, I would like to take your challenge, do you have any chapter book recommendations for her age?
thanks

Michelle said...

Dear Clemencia,
Thank you for taking the challenge. Here are a few books. Hopefully you can find one at a library. Two Times the Fun by Beverly Cleary, Socks by Beverly Cleary, Tales From the Waterhole by Bob Graham, Frog and Toad books, and The Puppy Place Series by Ellen Miles. Check with a librarian for others. Let us know which book you choose. Here's link you may find helpful with advice on reading chapter books to young children. http://www.daddyread.com/readingChapter.html

Michelle said...

Clemencia,
I visited your blog today. It looks like your daughter likes princesses. The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye might be a good choice.