Friday

Cris Tovani's Advice May Help My Son Understand His Reading


I've been focused on helping my nine year old son with his reading this summer. I came across Cris Tovani's name in a post on Julie Peterson's blog.
I think my son struggles with thinking while reading. Cris Tovani's book I Read It, but I Don't Get It may be just what we need. My plan so far has been reading ahead in whatever book my son is reading. We discuss what he has already read and make some predictions. I'm also choosing a few words from each chapter to do some word work with before he reads. Sometimes I listen while he reads and support him as necessary.

Here's a video with Cris Tovani. I'm ording I Read It, but I Don't Get It today.


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Nancy Teaches said...

I just bought this book and can't wait to start reading it. I highly recommend this site. It was the cornerstone of my third grade classroom last year.

http://reading.ecb.org/teacher/strategies.html

Also, I have quite a few other resources listed on my class website. http://nancyehrlich.ihostvm.com

I'm passionate about getting kids to think (metacognition) while reading. They need a concrete model.

I'm moving with my class to fourth grade next year and I can't wait to further solidify these strategies.

Thanks for sharing.