Tuesday

What Books Do Children Like Read to Them Again and Again?


I know children benefit from having stories read to them multiple times. My children loved having some of their favorite books read again and again.
I asked members of a community at Blogfrog to share titles of books their children have asked to have read more than five times in a discussion
Here's a list of responses from real moms. Good Night Moon (8 moms) and The Monster at the End of This Book (5 moms) are at the top of the list. These were two of my family's favorites too! 
The top five were:
Good Night Moon 8 people
The Monster at the End of This Book 5 people
Bear Snores On 3 people
Love You Forever 3 people
Where The Wild Things Are 3 people

The next titles had two references:
Are You My Mother?
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
Dr. Suess's ABC
The Going to Bed Book
Llama Llama Red Pajama
No, David!
Put Me in the Zoo
The Pout Pout Fish

Snuggle Puppy

Here are the rest of the responses with Amazon links in ABC order:
A Frog in the Bog
Baa Choo
Baby Knows Best
Bad Case of the Stripes
Bark, George
Barnyard Dance
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Chicka, Chicka 123
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Dog
Dog's Don't Wear Sneakers
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late
Dr. Suess's ABC
Duck on a Bike
Easter Ribbit
Five Little Ducks
Froggy Gets Dressed
Giraffes Can't Dance
Glad Monster, Sad Monster
God Gave Us You
God Loves You
(The) Going to Bed Book
Good Boy, Fergus
Goodnight Gorilla

Green Eggs and Ham
Gregory, the Terrible Eater
Grumpy Bird
How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?
If I Only Had a Green Nose
I Love You Stinky Face
I Stink
I Spy: An Alphabet in Art
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
If You Hopped Like a Frog
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
Katy and the Big Snow
(The) Kissing Hand
(The) Lady with the Alligator Purse
Little Pea, Little Hoot, Little Oink
(The) Lorax
Lullaby Little One
Moo, Baa, La La La
Moose Tracks
Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?
Mud Puddle
(The) Night Pirates
No Matter What
(The) Nose Book
Oh My Baby, Little One
(The) Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything
Once I Ate a Pie
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
One Moose, Twenty Mice
Parts
Pat the Bunny
(The) Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog
Ping Pong Pig
Pinkalicious
Please, Baby Please
(The) Poky Little Puppy
Red Hat, Green Hat
(The) Red Racer
(The) Red Thread
Roly Poly Spider
Sesame Street ABC
Sitting in My Box
Skippyjon Jones
Sleepy Dog
Sleepy Dog
Some Dogs Do
Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born
Ten Little Puppies
There's a Mouse About the House
There's an Alligator Under My Bed
(The) Three Big Goats Gruff
Thomas Goes to School
Trumpet of the Swan
Twas the Night Before Christmas
What a Bad Dream
Where's My Teddy?
Wide Mouth Frog
You Are Special and You Are Mine

Every book is linked to Amazon. You will find reviews of these books by clicking on the links. I read many of these books to my children when they were young. I wish I'd known about some of the others. Enjoy this list. Maybe you'll find some new favorites.
Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Susan @togethertime4families.com said...

Hi Michelle,
I think a good book list never ends; it can't be toooo long! Thanks for sharing. Check out the book "Sitting In My Box". It's great for predicting what is in the box before you read and then after reading (many times because children can't get enough of this book.)act it out with - Reader's Theater.
Susan at togethertime4fammilies.com

Michelle said...

Hi Susan. Sitting in My Box looks great. One reviewer at Amazon actually cautioned buyer to be prepared to read the book over and over. Thanks for sharing. I'll be looking for this book my next trip to the library.

Cathy Puett Miller said...

Michelle, I'm a great fan of read aloud. I believe it can be the most deeply layered instructional experience without it looking like a lesson. My favorite for preschool through 1st grade is Baa-Choo by Sarah Weeks. It has what I call the three essentials of reading aloud with young children: rhythm, rhyme and repetition PLUS Sarah adds high level thinking with inference.

You can also access The Literacy Ambassador's Favorite Read Alouds for Preschoolers at the end of this blog posting: http://parentsandkidsreadingtogether.blogspot.com/search/label/preschool%20book%20list.

In terms of read alouds with older kids (5th grade and up), you can't beat any of John H. Ritter's books (Over The Wall is my favorite).

Michelle said...

Thanks for your response Cathy. I have not read Baa Choo yet. I'll add it to the list and will read it soon.
I'm very glad you linked to your list of favorite read alouds for preschoolers.
My own children's favorite books usually had rhyme, rhythm, and repetition. Here's a list I made a while ago. http://beginningreadinghelp.blogspot.com/2010/01/working-list-of-great-stories-to-read.html

Elizabeth A Triano said...

My kids and I really enjoyed _Once I Ate a Pie_. It is a silly book about dogs. Each page has a short bit of text attributed to the dog(s) pictured on that page, so it is more or less a picture book. I have fun voicing the dogs, and we love the one that, well, once ate a pie...

@LiteracyCounts said...

Michelle - Here are my top 10 books that I enjoy reading aloud. I wrote a blog post earlier this month: http://earlyliteracycounts.blogspot.com/2010/06/ten-books-i-love-to-read-aloud.html

Julia Simens said...

I love working with five year olds so I have my list of top 30 books to read with them... you can find the list at http;//www.jsimens.com I feel as educators and parents we can NEVER have enough books to check out. Thanks!