Wednesday

Success of a Student I Tutored This Year


I started tutoring "Joe" in September 2009. He started at DRA Level 10. According to his school's testing he is at or above DRA Level 30. "Joe" is finishing 3rd grade. May 27 will be our last tutoring session this school year. I gave him about ten books I purchased at a local thrift store to keep him busy this summer and hope to meet at the library a few times this summer with his grandma or stepmom to help choose more books for summer reading.
I've been thinking about documenting the progress of students I tutor. I'd highlight successes and describe how I teach to the needs of each student. This documentation could help others and inform the parents of students I tutor. Sharing ideas for extra practice at home should be helpful to parents of students I tutor as well as readers of this blog teaching a student to read.

I'm starting a new student today, May 26th. He's nearing the end of first grade. His parents think he's at DRA Level 12. The average reading level expectation at the end of first grade is DRA Level 16. I'm excited to help. He'll be with me for two months. His parents plan on helping at home, so there will be a few at home activities to share with my readers.

Stay tuned. Subscribe with a reader or email today!
Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Paul said...

I'm really happy you will be sharing your teaching experiences with us! What a fantastic idea!

Michelle said...

Thanks, Paul. Your support means a lot! You are a great brother.

Thanks for the fantastic idea to share by tutoring experiences by the way. I think it will be fun.

Donna Perugini said...

Sharing your tutoring successes is a fantastic idea, Michelle. It must be so rewarding to see your students increase their reading ability! Too bad we can't clone you many times over!!

Dr. Madeline Boskey said...

You do such wonderful work. I think if you could do a "journal" of your day-to-day, it would be invaluable for others. Your insights and descriptions would help tutors and parents. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Michelle said...

Thanks to Donna and Madeline for your kind words. I will continue to share my tutoring ideas and experiences. You have given me motivation!

Michelle said...

Today was the last day with my summer student. His family is moving earlier than expected. I had three sessions with him. There wasn't much time for mom and dad to help at home since they are in the middle of moving.

Michelle said...

Any information I wrote about this student is labeled under Reading Tutor - Case Study #1.